Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Colman's Mustard Review - Fabulous British Mustard with a Kick

Grilled Boneless Pork Chops with Colman's Mustard Glaze

The British certainly know how to do mustard. I was not familiar with Colman's Mustard, although it is one of the oldest food brands in the world. They date back to 1814, but we do not have Colman's in this rural area.

Toni had noticed my Barbecue Master blog and asked if I'd like to try out a sample of Colman's. Mustard is my favorite condiment and I was curious about one from across the pond, so I decided I'd give it a try even though we're on the home stretch at the college - our max out time.

The Colman's arrived really quick. Toni sent the prepared type (creamy) and also a tin of powdered.

Colman's Mustard - Creamy and Powdered

I decided I wanted to try out the mustard tonight even though I have a lot of grading to do. A teacher has to eat too right?

Boneless pork chops seemed a good idea, since they are quick and easy on the grill. An added plus was that they were on sale this week. So, I made the grocery run and got my chops.

There are a lot of ways to go with mustard and pork. I thought I'd taste the creamy Colman's mustard first and then take it from there.

Whoa buddy. Colman's - they do the mustard. This is not American hot dog mustard. No. Not by any stretch. It's a combination mustard (different seed types) with a real kick. In other words, this mustard is hot. This is hot in a very nice way. Heaven. But, my high school son is not a heat freak. Sigh. The child must have picked up a recessive gene.

Hum . . .

I decided to go with a mustard glaze for the pork chops. I always have honey on hand, and I knew that would balance out the heat.

How to Make a Mustard Glaze for Grilled Foods

Mix togehter and whisk or stir:

1/4 cup honey
1 TBS Colman's mustard (creamy and NOT the powder on this one)
1 teaspoon apple cidear vinegar
1 teaspoon Chef of the Future - Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning (mild flavor)

How to Grill Boneless (or not) Pork Chops with a Mustard Glaze

1. Heat up the grill. A hot grill keeps food from sticking.

2. Grill one side of the pork chops for 10 minutes (at around 350 degrees F) or until about half done and flip.

3. Brush on mustard glaze. This is on the side that has the grill marks or about half done.

5. Grill the other side with the glaze down and some glaze added on top for again close to 10 minutes. Times vary depending on the heat of the grill and the thickness of the pork chops. Cut into a pork chop if you're not sure if they are done. They are good with a faint pink color. Don't grill them to death, or they are dry and not very good.

You can double the batch and glaze more often if you like. This recipe is thin and more like the mop barbecue sauces that are common in North Carolina. Don't expect a thick Kansas style sauce, although I can do one of those later with the mustard.

Colman's Southern Style Mustard Pork Chops Dinner

I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one, but it was a thumbs up all round here. The honey cut the heat enough so that my younger son loved the Colman's pork chops. I got the hint of heat with the Colman's - yum.

This weekend, I plan to grill some brats. This mustard with some heat should be perfect with brats. I could see visions of those dancing in my head from the first taste.

If you can't find Colman's Mustard in your area, I searched online and there is a Colman's Mustard Shop.

No comments: